Every year, we celebrate the amazing work of student interns working in the Research Park at the Summer Intern Awards Ceremony. We will recognize five of these outstanding interns and one team of interns selected by a deliberation committee. Winners will receive trophies commemorating their achievement and will be featured on the Research Park website; a press release will also be sent to local media.
Nomination deadline: 11:59 pm, Monday, July 20
Best Entrepreneurial Leadership in a Startup
A student in a startup who has developed capabilities as an idea-generator, decision-maker, and team-builder. They help others above and beyond their job description, have a positive mindset, and take ownership of tasks from inception to completion. (Please note that this award is ONLY for interns working at startups – companies with 70 employees or less globally)
Best Technological Innovation
Any intern who has helped with, independently created, or lead a team in developing solutions for the betterment of projects, process and tools, or automation. They perform tasks that are self-driven, like improving the processes, cost savings, improving efficiencies, and using out of the box thinking to solve business problems demonstrated through leadership.
Best Non-Technical Innovation
Any intern who has impacted their company through non-technical innovation. Their innovation may have entailed designing and implementing effective workflow processes, building strategic partnerships across industries, discovering new opportunities for company growth, or a project of a different form. No matter the medium of their innovation, their self-motivation, creativity, and leadership push the team and company towards greater success.
Most Outstanding Graduate Student Intern
A graduate student intern who is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers. They treat people with respect and inspire the trust of others, work with a high level of integrity, and are proactive in building relationships. They keep confidence, admit mistakes, can find common ground and encourage cooperation, and work well as a member of a team – both in leadership and membership roles.
Most Outstanding Undergraduate Student Intern
An undergraduate student intern who is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers. They treat people with respect and inspire the trust of others, work with a high level of integrity, and are proactive in building relationships. They keep confidence, admit mistakes, can find common ground and encourage cooperation, and work well as a member of a team – both in leadership and membership roles.
Most Competent and Collaborative Team
This team is like a well-oiled machine and knows how to get the job done. Every team player contributes to the best of their knowledge and expertise. The team has a conducive environment and as a whole is accountable for a very successful project or a project that was difficult to deliver.
2019 Intern Award Recipients
- Winner - Shaoyu Meng: Software Engineer, LifeFoundry (Masters, Electrical & Computer Engineering)
- Xiofan Zhang: Neural Network Engineering Intern, Inspirit-IoT (Ph.D., Electrical & Computer Engineering)
- Jugat Singh: Summer Engineering Intern, InstaRecon, Inc. (Masters, Computer Science)
- Winner - Harshit Gupta: Data Science Technology Intern, Syngenta (Masters, Information Management)
- Ashley Oyirifi: Biomedical Innovation Researcher, AbbVie (Ph.D., Nutritional Sciences)
- Qianli Chen: Data Scientist, COUNTRY Financial DigitaLab (Ph.D., Civil Engineering)
- Winner - Mallory Gorman: Associate Product Owner, Nutrien Ag Solutions (Undergraduate, Agricultural Engineering)
- Sherry Yi: Idea Summer Lab Intern, AbbVie (Ph.D., Educational Psychology)
- Nikita Nerkar: Web Developer, Ekey Technology (Masters, Technology Management)
- Zhuzhu Wang: Product Development Intern, Abbott (Ph.D., Food Science)
- Winner - Saurav Yadav: Data Scientist, COUNTRY Financial DigitaLab (Masters, Information Management)
- Nuraini Aguse: Front End Intern, InstaRecon (Masters, Computer Science)
- Winner - Derek Meyer: P&C Actuarial Intern, State Farm (Undergraduate, Actuarial Science)
- Avani Patel: Clinical Research Intern, PhotoniCare (Undergraduate, Bioengineering)
- Winner - Intelinair Agronomy and Deep Learning Intern Team
- PSYONIC Mechanical Engineering Team
- AARP Computer Programming Team