Ameren was created by the combination of three Illinois utilities (CIPSCO Incorporated, CILCO Inc. and Illinois Power Company) and Union Electric Company of St. Louis. The name comes from combining the words American and Energy. Employing more than 8,500 personnel, Ameren powers the quality of life for 2.4 million electric customers and more than 900,000 natural gas customers across a 64,000-square-mile area. The Ameren Innovation Center collaborates with students and faculty from the University of Illinois and other companies across multiple industries at the Research Park. Their goal is to foster an exploratory environment that focuses on innovations to help Ameren better meet the future needs of its customers. The innovation center works on solving relevant problems and developing instrumental tools for the company.
Ameren Innovation Center
- Ameren Innovation Center Opens at the University of Illinois Research Park
- Ameren’s Mary Heger Named Leader in STEM, Touts Research Park Innovation Center
- Ameren Innovation Center Grand Opening Photos 2015
- Most Outstanding Undergraduate Student Intern 2022 – David An
- Most Collaborative Team 2021 – Data Team
- Best Entrepreneurial Leadership in a Startup 2015 – Jenna Cooley
- Most Competent and Collaborative Team 2018 – Ameren Innovation Intern Team
Stay Connected with Ameren
Positions and Skills at Ameren
Ameren hires a wide range of interns year-round. The company looks at freshman to Ph.D. applicants for data analysis, application development, and operations roles. Additionally, Ameren has hired more than 20 different majors and encourages all majors to apply.
- The application development team focuses on designing, building, and implementing software applications. The team has built a website from scratch and even created a program that automatically generates Python documentation.
- The iOps team leads the internal side of the iCenter and removes all barriers that the other teams may face. Marketing the iCenter to potential applicants and internal management falls under the job description for the iOps team.
- The Data Science team deals with vast volumes of data using modern tools and techniques to find unseen patterns, derive meaningful information and make informed decisions. Some topics they explore include Gas Usage Forecasting and how electric vehicle charging affects the power grid.
If interested in any of these roles, please fill out this interest form: https://forms.office.com/r/eByChq0W85