Registration is now open for the 2024 AgTech Summit.
Join us to explore how technology solutions are addressing some of the most significant challenges facing agriculture today – and learn about what is on the horizon. One of the premier AgTech hubs in the nation, Champaign-Urbana is uniquely positioned to bring together entrepreneurs, investors, academics, and industry for learning, networking and advancing this sector.
March 5, 2024
Illinois Conference Center
111 St Mary’s Rd. Champaign, IL
This interactive conference offers participants the opportunity to learn and share knowledge about the current state of agtech and looking into the future through dynamic panels, inspiring keynote presentations, and networking opportunities. This event is free thanks to our generous sponsors.
For sponsorship information, speaking opportunities and more, please contact Laura Bleill at [email protected].
Thanks to our 2024 sponsors Intersect Illinois, John Deere, Bayer, Corteva, AGCO, BRANDT, GDM, and the NSF I-Corps Hub.
7:30 AM REGISTRATION OPENS
8:00 AM WELCOME AND OPENING REMARKS
8:10 AM CHAMPAIGN-URBANA AgTech WEEK PROCLAMATION
8:30 am platinum sponsor remarks
8:45 am nAVIGATING DIGITAL AG
- Justin McMenamy | VP of Disruptive Products, Precision Planting
- Dave Knippenberg | Director of Data Platforms, Elanco
- Jared Fry | Director of Modeling & Simulation, Mondelez
- Dominic Walkes | Director of Technical Product Management, CNH
- Moderator: Elhan Ersoz | Clinical Assistant Professor, UIUC Crop Sciences
9:30 am FIRESIDE CHAT: Corteva Agriscience
- Sam Eathington | Chief Technology and Digital Officer, Corteva Agriscience
- Kim Kidwell | Associate Chancellor for Strategic Partnerships and Initiatives, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
10:00 am POLICY IMPACT ON AGTECH
- Jonathan Coppess | Associate Professor, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- Greg Webb | Vice President, State Government Relations, ADM
- Aleksi Knepp | Legislative Assistant, United States House of Representatives, Office of Congresswoman Nikki Budzinski
- Moderator: Stephen Wald | Director of External Communications and Government Relations, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
10:30 am BREAK
10:45 AM Regional Partnership in Bioprocessing: iFAB Tech Hub
- Michael Tai | CEO, Boston Bioprocess
- James Glueck | Senior Vice President, Advanced Bioproducts, Corn Refiners Association
- Beth Conerty | Regional Innovation Officer, iFAB Tech Hub
- Eric Lee | Director, Business Development – Fermentation and Bioindustry, Primient
- Moderator: Nicole Bateman | President, Economic Development Corporation of Decatur & Macon County
11:30 am MOORE INNOVATION PRIZE AND STARTUP PRESENTATION
11:45 am FIRESIDE CHAT: Hypercell
- Bruno Jactel | CEO, Hypercell
- Gerald Wilson | Director of Entrepreneurship, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
12:15 pm LUNCH
12:45 pm FIRESIDE CHAT
- Gastón Suardiaz | Global Strategy Lead, GDM
- Moderator: Germán Bollero | Dean, UIUC College of Agricultural, Consumer, & Environmental Sciences
1:15 pm LIGHTNING PRESENTATIONS
- Andrew Leakey | Director, UIUC Center for Advanced Bioenergy and Bioproducts Innovation
- Dennis Beard | Managing Partner, Serra Ventures
- AgTech Hackathon Winner Presentation
2:00 pm GLEN “GB” BRANDT PRIZE FOR AG ENTREPRENEURISM
2:15 pm BREAK
2:30 pm THE JOURNEY OF SUSTAINABILITY
- Kaiyu Guan | Founder, HabiTerre
- Sumeeta Salvador | Senior Associate, Corporate Development in Food & Agriculture, S2G Ventures
- Alexey Rostapshov | Head of Labs and Sustainability Solutions, John Deere
- Charlie Foresman | Ecosystems Impact Lead, Bayer
- Moderator: John Reid | Research Professor, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
3:15 pm pERSPECTIVE OF gROWERS & prODUCERS
- Sarah Hastings | Co-Owner, Hastings CCI Equipment
- Eric Miller | Co-owner Roots Run Deep Farm
- Eric Rund | Owner, Rund Farms
- Moderator: Jim Goss | VP of TAG Farms, The Atkins Group
4:00 AGTECH SHOWCASE & NETWORKING RECEPTION
You’re invited to join us for the AgTech Showcase & Networking event immediately following the Summit at the Illinois Conference Center. The AgTech Showcase is an opportunity to connect with other attendees and see what innovations companies are working on. Snacks and beverages will be provided.
Thank you to our AgTech Summit Planning Committee
- Laura Bleill, University of Illinois Research Park
- Desiree Clayton, University of Illinois Research Park
- Pedro Fernandes da Costa, University of Illinois Office of Corporate Relations
- Amy Fruehling, University of Illinois College of ACES
- Kim Kidwell, University of Illinois Office of the Chancellor
- Cathy McArthur, University of Illinois Research Park
AgTech Summit Q&A
Thank you for participating in the 2024 AgTech Summit. Our speakers will have time at the end of their discussion to answer questions. You may ask questions to more than one panel. Please submit your questions at any time.
AgTech Student Career Panel
Students were invited to join us to hear from their peers working in agtech within the Research Park. Join us in the ACES Library Tuesday, February 20 at 5pm. Students can register on Handshake.
This two-day hackathon is a team competition open to any University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign students interested in Agriculture/AgTech. This is an exciting and fast-paced event where teams can create together. New and experienced students are welcome to participate in this free event.
Research Park Tours
Guests are invited to join us Monday, March 4 from 2-4 pm for tours of the Research Park. Join us to visit with startup companies in the EnterpriseWorks incubator and corporations throughout the Research Park. Tours start at the EnterpriseWorks atrium at 60 Hazelwood Drive, Champaign.
The I-Hotel is connected to the Illinois Conference Center. We recommend staying here, but there are several other hotel options in town.
To reserve a room using our room block at the I-Hotel, follow this link or call 217-819-5000 and use the block code AGTECHSUM24.
Guest Password: 9G@jU
Deadline: February 4, 2024
Champaign-Urbana AgTech Week
Champaign-Urbana has long been a hub for technology as well as agriculture. In the past decade, those two paths have converged, paving the way for the community to become an “epicenter for AgTech.” In addition to the AgTech Summit, there are several events during AgTech Week from March 4-8.
Edwin Moore Family Agriculture Award
The Edwin Moore Family Agriculture award was established in 2016 with a generous gift to EnterpriseWorks. The goal of this award is to help startup companies engaged in the development of new innovative technologies that may lead to increased productivity and/or efficiency in farming or to create new agricultural opportunities, including new processes, new crops, and new food production systems.
The award honors the legacy of Edwin E. Moore (1924), who graduated from the University of Illinois College of Agriculture and began farming in Will County. Throughout his agricultural career, he and his wife, Iva, used innovative farming practices for both crop production and livestock management. Two of their four children also became farmers, Edwin and Thomas (1953, College of Agriculture), and continued use of innovative farm practices. Subsequent generations of Edwin Moore’s family have continued to pursue farming and ag-related careers capturing the same innovative spirit.
The previous winners include:
Glen “GB” Brandt Prize for Ag Entrepreneurism Award
The Glen “GB” Brandt Prize for Ag Entrepreneurism was established in 2021 in honor of Glen “GB” Brandt, a legendary figure in the field of Illinois agriculture, who passed away in late 2020. The BRANDT Foundation partnered with the University of Illinois to provide the winner a $10,000 prize.
The BRANDT Foundation was established in 2012 as a philanthropic extension of BRANDT, Inc. The Brandt family has always stood with their communities and as their company grew, so did the opportunities to give back. The BRANDT Foundation offers donations, grants, and support to the charities, organizations, and communities that reside in the same area of the company; geographically and industry-related.
The BRANDT Foundation seeks to honor the legacy of founder Glen “GB” Brandt by recognizing an Illinois farmer for their role in advancing innovation and entrepreneurship in the ag sector. A $10,000 cash prize will be awarded to the nominee who exemplifies an entrepreneurial spirit and advances innovation through their business practices. The recipient may use this prize on their farm how they wish. The winner will be announced at the AgTech Summit on Tuesday, March 5.
The deadline for submissions was February 1. The winner will be announced at the 2024 AgTech Summit.
The previous winners include:
AgTech Summit History
Check out these highlights from our AgTech Innovation Summits of past years.
AgTech Summit 2021 in the Media
March 20, The News-Gazette: Rural Paxton farmer’s spirit recognized
March 12, AgDaily: Illinois Farmer Receives Ag Entrepreneurial Award
March 4, WCIA: We’re thinking spring in Champaign County
February 10, Smile Politely: The 2021 AgTech Innovation Summit is Happening on March 10th