Research Park is consistently home to over 600 interns every year. From large companies to startups, interns have the opportunity to contribute to company development through projects. Students come from multiple disciplines, including engineering, graphic design, marketing, chemistry, computer science, urban planning, and much more. Research Park would not be the innovative hub it is today without the students’ insights, hard work, and creativity.
Office spaces are student-oriented, and most include amenities such as table tennis, kitchen areas, and free coffee. Site Directors are open to feedback from their employees, so offices tend to be flexible in design in order to accommodate work while also respecting preferences.
Research Park hosts multiple student-focused events every year to thank students for their dedication. From the Summer Picnic & Awards to Game Night, these casual, social nights give students the opportunity to meet others from different companies and startups. The Park is more than brick-and-mortar: It’s about a community that works together to stay connected to see success across the board.
Summer Intern Professional Development Series
Research Park supports interns as young professionals, and these 12 to 1 pm workshops every Tuesday allow students to learn about key life skills, like financial responsibility and negotiation strategies. At the end of each workshop, there will be a raffle for a prize (only verified Research Park interns are eligible for the raffle). Research Park requests that attendees register in advance for the workshops they will attend. Staying for the entire event is highly recommended.
Register for workshops in the 2020 Summer Intern Professional Development Series below. Missed a workshop? Click past workshops to see their videos on our YouTube channel.
- June 2: How to Get that Full Time Offer by Being a Star Intern with Brandon Dohman
- June 9: Teamwork and Making the Dream Work from Anywhere with Ulyssia Dennis
- June 16: Fundamentals of Presenting in the Workplace with Jason Boys
- June 23: Identifying and Translating Your Skills with Derek Attig
- June 30: Networking in a Virtual Era with Lauren Stites
- July 14: Intern Alum Panel
- July 21: Managing Your Personal Finance with Kate Rogers
- July 28: Negotiation Strategies with Jim Dahl
If you attended a workshop, thank you in advance for filling out our feedback form. This will help us better design workshops in the future.
Missed the 2019 Summer Intern Professional Development Series? Start watching the 2019 workshop series on our YouTube channel.
Summer Picnic & Intern Awards
This ceremony celebrates students’ hard work on company and startup projects. Managers nominate interns for awards like “Most Outstanding Undergraduate Student Intern” and “Best Entrepreneurial Leadership in a Startup.”
Congratulations to the finalists and winners for the 2019 Summer Picnic & Intern Awards. Research Park would not be the same without you.
Missed the 2019 awards ceremony? Watch the video.
For more information and to nominate an intern for the 2020 awards, click here.
- Winner – Shaoyu Meng: Software Engineer, LifeFoundry (Masters, Electrical & Computer Engineering)
- Xiofan Zhang: Neural Network Engineering Intern, Inspirit-IoT (Ph.D., Electrical & Computer Engineering)
- Jugat Singh: Summer Engineering Intern, InstaRecon, Inc. (Masters, Computer Science)
- Winner – Harshit Gupta: Data Science Technology Intern, Syngenta (Masters, Information Management)
- Ashley Oyirifi: Biomedical Innovation Researcher, AbbVie (Ph.D., Nutritional Sciences)
- Qianli Chen: Data Scientist, COUNTRY Financial DigitaLab (Ph.D., Civil Engineering)
- Winner – Mallory Gorman: Associate Product Owner, Nutrien Ag Solutions (Undergraduate, Agricultural Engineering)
- Sherry Yi: Idea Summer Lab Intern, AbbVie (Ph.D., Educational Psychology)
- Nikita Nerkar: Web Developer, Ekey Technology (Masters, Technology Management)
- Zhuzhu Wang: Product Development Intern, Abbott (Ph.D., Food Science)
- Winner – Saurav Yadav: Data Scientist, COUNTRY Financial DigitaLab (Masters, Information Management)
- Nuraini Aguse: Front End Intern, InstaRecon (Masters, Computer Science)
- Winner – Derek Meyer: P&C Actuarial Intern, State Farm (Undergraduate, Actuarial Science)
- Avani Patel: Clinical Research Intern, PhotoniCare (Undergraduate, Bioengineering)
- Winner – Intelinair Agronomy and Deep Learning Intern Team
- PSYONIC Mechanical Engineering Team
- AARP Computer Programming Team
Plans to turn Summer Picnic & Intern Awards into a virtual event are in motion! Check back here for more information in July 2020.
The Mixer is an afternoon social held for Research Park interns. A complimentary buffet is provided. Students play games and interact with one another, sharing work stories and Research Park experiences.
Plans to turn Intern Mixer into a virtual event are in motion! Check back here for more information in mid-June 2020.
Intern Game Night
Game Night is an evening of pizza and games at EnterpriseWorks, the startup incubator of Research Park. Board games, like KerPlunk and Connect Four, and coloring sheets are available for interns to destress, and those with a competitive edge can sign up and face others in a MarioKart Tournament. A prize is given away at the end of the night to the best MarioKart racer.
Plans to turn Intern Game Night into a virtual event are in motion! Check back here for more information in mid-June 2020.
Research Park’s Table Tennis Tournament
Are you prepared to win The Golden Paddle? Research Park annually holds the Table Tennis Tournament, and all companies can participate. Competition occurs from 4 to 11 pm, and competitors are split between Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced to accommodate all experience levels.
As of Summer 2020, the annual Table Tennis Tournament has been postponed until further notice.
Fire@Five (May to October)
Fire at Five is a social event that allows employees of Research Park time to destress and celebrate the end of the month. Complimentary dinner is provided, and those 21 and over enjoy the happy hour. From beanbags to photo booths to cake walks, a multitude of activities are available at Fire at Five. Invite your co-workers, head to the Ameren Pond, grab a drink, and listen to live music starting at 5 pm on every last Friday of the month.
For Summer 2020, Fire at Five has become a virtual event. Please visit our Event Calendar for more information by clicking below.