The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is a preeminent land-grant research university, with more than 50,000 students. Located on its main campus, the University of Illinois Research Park is a 200-acre development with leading corporate innovation centers, startup companies, and lifestyle amenities.
The Research Park is now seeking information via project-based proposals to accelerate development in accordance with the Master Plan as adopted by the University of Illinois Board of Trustees. The University is strongly committed to the growth of the Research Park and seeks strategies and proposals for development to further a live-work-play-learn location.
This RFI (request for information) is designed to explore interest in such projects, project feasibility, and proposed development terms.
The State of Illinois Public Higher Education Bulletin has published a Request for Information for Development Project Proposals and Feasibility Information. It is located here:
Users may login in the upper-right section of the screen or create a new registration; registration is required to download the full RFI document.
Responses will be accepted until Wednesday, September 30, 2020. Interested parties should respond in the manner outlined within the State of Illinois Public Higher Education Bulletin.
The University of Illinois Research Park will host a one-hour Pre-Proposal Conference and Information Session on September 15, 2020, from 1:00 to 2:00 pm CST to provide background information on the development area, review the RFI process, and allow participant questions. Registration is required to participate. Register here:
After registering, a confirmation email containing the link to join the meeting will be sent.
The purpose of the request for information (RFI) is twofold:
- The UIRP LLC seeks to determine development interest by qualified parties in proposing specific land development projects or specific building proposals within two (2) specific areas (zones) within the Research Park Boundaries. These zones are further defined herein and are designated for the following uses:
- Graduate student and/or professional market-rate housing projects (not undergraduate housing projects)
- Mixed-use development including residential, office or retail uses
- Commercial office development (developer-owned)
- Office /research development of owner-occupied buildings (will subdivide land)
- Research facilities
- Medical-related facilities and associated uses
- Other uses which are consistent with the Research Park Mission as may be determined by UIRP LLC and University
- The UIRP LLC is seeking information to determine the preliminary feasibility and assumptions for any project proposed in the context of existing conditions, covenants and restrictions (further defined herein), market conditions, expected costs and the extent to which mutually beneficial business and financial arrangements could accelerate land development and Research Park growth.
For additional information, contact by email only. No phone inquiries will be answered. Answers to questions will be formulated by the Research Park RFI Committee and posted on the Illinois Public Higher Education Bulletin.
Bruce Walden, Bwalden@uillinois.edu
University of Illinois
Office of Capital Programs and Real Estate Services
506 S. Wright Street, Suite 208
Urbana, Illinois 61801
Thank you for your interest.