Research Park Event Coordination Internship – Spring/Summer 2020
University of Illinois Research Park and EnterpriseWorks
Does the thought of planning an event excite you? Would you like to utilize your organizational and creative skills to plan out luncheons, networking socials and workshops for the University of Illinois Research Park? We’re looking for an organized, self-motivated student who loves event planning and managing to join our intern team. Here at Research Park, you will be a key part in the success and joy brought to all who attend the various events hosted throughout the year.
The University of Illinois Research Park is a technology hub for corporate operations focusing on innovative, cutting edge research and development. EnterpriseWorks is an award-winning incubator at the Research Park that focuses on science and research-based start-up companies commercializing technology from the University of Illinois. We have a multifaceted team of professionals and interns dedicated to helping our startups and corporations thrive in the Research Park.
Previous University of Illinois Research Park interns have gone onto work at companies including but not limited to: Korn Ferry, Google, Facebook, IBM, Denodo, All State, Blue Bunny, Conversant, Yelp, Leo Burnett, Solstice, and Surface 51.
What You’ll Do
The Event Coordination Intern gets to assist in the implementation and organization of over 200 events annually including small workshops, networking socials and large-scale conferences. You’ll work alongside the Events & Programming Coordinator to brainstorm ideas, establish expectations, and create guidelines and schedules for each event. You will communicate with outside vendors to organize activities, food and/or decorations and make sure all event logistics are completed on time. Some events may require you to work outside of standard work hours (i.e. 8am – 6 pm) when you take the lead in managing the event in its entirety which includes set up and tear down. You will also maintain comprehensive event planning documentation leading up to events and compile feedback and post-event reviews. See our events page and calendar to get an idea of the breadth of events you will get to organize: researchpark.illinois.edu/events
This position will begin training part time during the Spring 2020 semester at a minimum of 10 hours/week and continue full time through the Summer 2020 semester at a minimum of 40 hours/week. Upon successful performance reviews, this internship can continue through multiple semesters.
You MUST meet these requirements to be eligible for this internship.
- Must be a full-time enrolled undergraduate student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign at the time of employment
- Graduation date must be May 2021 or later
- Must be available to work full time at 40 hours/week during Summer 2020
- Must be available to begin training immediately during Spring 2020 at a minimum of 10 hours/week
- Strong ability to maintain clear communications with management on event status
- Strong planning and organizational skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Strong project and time management skills to ensure all event logistics are completed on-time and within scope
- Excellent ability to balance and prioritize multiple projects; work in fast-paced environments
- Comfortable and able to work on short deadlines
- Ability to quickly resolve problems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong customer service skills
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
Nice to have:
- Management/Leadership experience
For your application, please prepare:
- Cover letter explaining how your experience makes you a good fit for this position
- A to-do list or planning document for an event your planned or project you managed
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, we are looking to fill this position as soon as possible.
- Hourly wage will be $12.00 per hour based on experience and degree level. Intern will be paid by the University of Illinois.
- Pending successful performance reviews, the internship can continue through multiple semesters and there is potential to be promoted into a leadership role.