Part-Time Student- Soil Scientist – John Deere
There are over 7 billion people on this planet. And by 2050, there will be 2 billion more… many moving into urban centers at an unprecedented rate. Making sure there is enough food, fiber and infrastructure for our rapidly growing world is what we’re all about at John Deere. And it’s why we’re investing in our people and our technology like never before! Here the world’s brightest minds are tackling the world’s biggest challenges. If you believe one person can make the world a better place, we’ll put you to work. RIGHT NOW.
John Deere is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to, among other things, race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
The Part-Time Student Program is primarily designed to augment the Company’s regular full-time staff and is for students who work in parallel to their school schedule YEAR-ROUND.
- Develop and perform tests to evaluate the performance of emerging technologies for measuring soil properties in lab and field settings
- Collect and analyze data related to soil tests
- Perform controlled tests that evaluate soil attributes and calibrate new technologies
This position is not available to students on immigration visas.
What Skills You Need
- Ideally you will be pursuing a degree in an agricultural or science discipline; others may apply
- Must be registered as a full-time student at a local accredited college/university
- Graduation date of December 2023 or later
- Cumulative GPA of 2.8 or above
- Available to work during the academic year 10-20 hours/weekly
- Available to work during the summer semester 30-40 hours/weekly
- Must be able to commute to the work location in Champaign, Illinois, on a regular weekly basis year-round
- Knowledge of performing soil tests in a lab environment
- Basic programming knowledge about Python or a similar language
- Understanding of physical and chemical soil properties
What Makes You Stand Out
- Experience with sensor estimates of soil properties
- Experience analyzing soil test results
- Experience modeling soil and soil water movement
- Farming background and/or experience with precision agricultural tools
To apply for this job please visit careers.deere.com.