Starfire Nuclear Engineer – Neutron & Gamma
Starfire Industries, LLC
Starfire Industries, LLC is a manufacturer of portable particle accelerator solutions for non-destructive testing—particularly neutron imaging and gamma-ray spectroscopy. Our nGen® and Centurion® technologies are used worldwide by industrial, academic, defense and security customers for materials identification, hazards detection, scientific analyses, and defect control. At our Champaign, IL facility we conduct leading-edge research and development, manufacture and support several product systems, and provide customer support for their emerging applications.
We are adding to our technical team to support both R&D and production activities. We seek a person familiar with neutron and gamma radiation interaction with matter from a hardware, software, and data analysis perspective. Building on your base nuclear radiation skill set and detection electronics aptitude, we will provide job-specific training unique to using our products and technologies. You enjoy being part of a “hands-on” scientific team.
Responsible for integrating nGen® and Centurion® particle accelerators, setup radiation shielding and detection materials, operating systems under representative environments, and performing simulations and data analysis for both production and R&D customers.
- Contribute as part of the particle accelerator production team with integration, assembly, testing and validation of hardware with relevant detectors and imaging media.
- Apply nuclear engineering experience for text fixture design and experimental setup.
- Assist systems and R&D engineers meeting milestones and deliverables for customers.
- Communicate consistently and openly with engineers, technicians, and managers.
- Actively pursue effective collaboration with other team members.
- Relevant Baccalaureate or Masters degree with relevant experience:
- g. Nuclear, Plasma and Radiological or Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Strong desire to learn and appreciates hands-on work
- Experience in one or more of the following:
- MCNP code for radiation transport simulations
- Scintillators, photomultipliers, signal processing, multichannel acquisition
- Interpret mechanical drawings and electrical schematics with ease
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Minimum 3+ years’ work experiences
Salary commensurate with experience. Immediate start date. This position is restricted to U.S. Persons only.