Starfire Material Scientist / Thin-Film Engineer
Starfire Industries, LLC
Starfire Industries, LLC is a manufacturer of plasma processing solutions for thin-film coatings and surface modification. Our IMPULSE® + Positive Kick™ and RADION™ technologies are used worldwide by aerospace, automotive, medical, energy, security, and semiconductor customers for harsh environment protection, wear resistance, corrosion resistance, optical and electronic properties. At our Champaign, IL facility we conduct leading-edge research and development, manufacture and support several product systems, and provide customer support for their emerging applications.
We are adding to our technical team to support R&D activities and customer engagement. We seek a person familiar with thin-film materials deposition and microanalysis of materials experience. Building on your base materials knowledge and vacuum processing skill set, we will provide job-specific training unique to our products and technologies. You will enjoy “hands-on” work and being part of scientific team.
Planning thin-film coating and surface modifications using IMPULSE® or RADION™, constructing test fixtures, performing etching and depositions, analyzing material properties, conducting SEM/microanalysis, and presenting data to the R&D team and customers.
- Execute thin-film materials campaigns from design, setup, plasma processing and test.
- Perform materials characterization and data analysis for customer deliverables.
- Communicate consistently and openly with engineers, technicians and managers.
- Actively pursue effective collaboration with R&D team members.
- Relevant Baccalaureate or Masters degree with relevant experience:
- g. Material Science, Aerospace, Nuclear, Plasma and Radiological or Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Strong desire to learn and appreciates hands-on work
- Capability to operate vacuum and/or atmospheric plasma processing equipment
- Experience in one or more of the following:
- Microanalysis: SEM, EDS, EBSD, XRF, XRD, AFM
- Corrosion and wear analysis
- Familiarity with nuclear/ aerospace-relevant materials
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Minimum 3+ years’ work experiences
Salary commensurate with experience. Immediate start date. This position is restricted to U.S. Persons only.