Caterpillar Data Scientist II
Champaign Caterpillar Innovation Center
Caterpillar uses quantitative methods such as business simulations, data mining, modeling machine learning, and advanced statistical techniques to solve problems. The Data Scientist II contributes to this mission by acting as the technical lead of analytics project teams tasked with solving problems of medium to high complexity and may also be viewed as a technical expert in a particular analytics approach, related digital technology, or business domain.
Caterpillar uses quantitative techniques to solve problems for internal and external Caterpillar customers. Typical problems include maximizing profit through improvements in Inventory Costs, Material Costs, NPI costs, etc…; determining the principal drivers of health care costs; recommending the optimal supplier for a part; identifying sales, rental, and service opportunities for Caterpillar dealers; and developing simulation/optimization capabilities to model a new facility or product feature. In addition, analytics experts provide assistance to high-profile enterprise-wide projects such as the Engineered Value Chain.
The principal responsibility of the Data Scientist II is to act as on analytics projects of medium to high complexity. In addition, the Data Scientist II may be viewed as a Caterpillar expert in the use of particular analytics techniques, associated digital technology, or in the application of analytics in a particular business domain. The Data Scientist II is viewed as one of the most experienced technical experts in the organization whose breadth of knowledge in analytic techniques may be called upon to help on a multitude of business problems. Under the direction of their leader, this position will participate on cross-functional project teams, provide overall guidance to the technical direction of the project, and mentor Jr Data Scientists on the technical approaches being used in order to solve a problem presented by a Caterpillar Business Unit or Service Organization, a Caterpillar Dealer, or a Caterpillar Customer.
The Data Scientist II Will
- Demonstrate a breadth and depth of knowledge in the application of optimization, statistical, digital and/or machine learning methodologies to solve business problems
- Demonstrate competency in coaching and mentoring Jr. Data Scientists in the creation, validation, and application of analytical models as well as in implementing digital solutions;
- Participate on 3-4 projects concurrently
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of Caterpillar Inc.; its products and services; its internal systems, processes, and procedures; and its relevant external influences (competitors, laws and regulations, market conditions, etc.)
- Demonstrate strong initiative to research and apply new methods and digital technologies to exceed customer expectations.
- Have a strong focus on continual learning in the Analytics field
- Demonstrate strong customer focus in the application of Analytics techniques and digital technologies to solve business problems
- Demonstrate significant knowledge in the use of Data Analytics software solutions
- Master’s in engineering, mathematics, economics or a similar field
- Experience writing programs/queries with data analysis tools such as Python, R, SAS, AMPL, SQL or Alteryx
- 2-3 years of experience applying analytics methodologies in an eCommerce environment
Top Candidates Will Also Have
- 2-4 years of experience with Caterpillar, working with a different unit or working with different products, processes or systems
- Experiences with different types of database tools such as DB2, Oracle and Snowflake
- Experience developing dashboards in visualization tools such as Tableau or Power BI
- Familiarity with AWS or other cloud technology
- Ability to work on increasingly more complex assignments, demonstrated strong leadership, initiative, interpersonal skills, and the ability to communicate effectively with team members and customers
- Excellent analytical skills are essential
Caterpillar is proud of the role we play in building the world’s infrastructure. The work we do drives progress for millions of people around the globe.
All qualified individuals – including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities – are encouraged to apply.