Student Software Developer – AbbVie
Company Name: AbbVie
Position Title: Software Developer
Status: Undergraduate/Graduate Hourly
Hours per week: 12 – 15 during academic year
35 – 40 during summer semester
The economic modeling team (EMT) of the Health Economics and Outcomes Research (HEOR) department works on computer models to quantify the expected health impacts and costs of treatments that our company makes. Most of these models are implemented in MS Excel. We are currently developing software to improve quality and efficiency of model implementation: a health economic modeling platform.
We are hiring students to be part of the project to develop this health economic modeling platform. The stack consists of three parts:
- The model definition is stored in a MongoDB database, using JSON encoding.
- The automatic generation of Excel files with a health economic model based on the mode definition is programmed in Python, using xlsxwriter and Pandas.
The software will be implemented on an AWS platform.
Major tasks include:
- Developing the platform to a stage where it is minimally useful for making health economic models.
- Adding features to the software that will make it possible to generate a greater diversity of models.
- Must be registered as a full-time student
- Undergraduate and Graduate students in Computer Science, Statistics, UI/UX or related fields;
- Cumulative minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0, or equivalent
- 12 – 15 hours/week availability during the fall and/or spring semesters
- Creative problem solver with ability to understand larger picture but who will focus on details
- Willingness to collaborate and actively engage in independent learning and open discussion
- Ability to design and deliver clean and usable and responsive user interface
- Authorized to work in the US on a permanent basis without requiring sponsorship
- Experience with Python
- Experience with full stack development
- Experience with programming generation of formula-rich Excel files
Note: The position will be hired through a third-party hiring agency and will begin as soon as possible with the option to continue through the 2022-23 academic year and summer.
To apply: Submit your resume via Handshake at https://illinois.joinhandshake.com/emp/jobs/6764652
Who We Are:
AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV) is a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company formed in 2013 following separation from Abbott Laboratories. Our ~47,000 employees are scientists, researchers, communicators, manufacturing specialists and regulatory experts located around the globe. We come up with new approaches to addressing today’s health issues—from life-threatening illness to chronic conditions. We target specific difficult-to-cure diseases where we can leverage our core R&D expertise to advance science. We are constantly working to create solutions that go beyond treating the illness to have a positive impact on patients’ lives, on societies—and on science itself. At AbbVie, we see a future full of possibility, where health is in reach and patient lives are improved.
The AbbVie Innovation Center (AIC), located in the Research Park at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, provides an opportunity for students and organizations throughout AbbVie to collaborate on projects that help advance our science. During the regular fall and spring semesters, this program is designed for students to work 12-15 hours/week in parallel with their school schedule. During the summer, students are expected to work 35-40 hours/week. As part of the “Any Student Anywhere” model, the AIC welcomes students from around the country to apply and work with us.
To apply for this job please visit illinois.joinhandshake.com.