COVID-19 Technology Acceleration
The COVID-19 Technology Acceleration program provides statewide assistance to advance technology and commercialization that addresses challenges related to the coronavirus pandemic. Examples of technologies responding to COVID-19 include testing, data modeling, analysis, personal protective equipment (PPE), medical devices, therapies, prevention/safety, etc.
Researchers, entrepreneurs, and innovators in the State of Illinois who are working on products, ideas, or solutions that address the risks or impacts associated with COVID-19 are encouraged to apply for free assistance. Types of technical assistance and support may include:
- counseling with technology, engineering, or business consultants
- assistance with prototype design, engineering, fabrication, or testing
- resources for small-batch production or micro-manufacturing
- assistance with developing a commercialization or technology transfer plan
- assistance with developing a project management plan
- entrepreneurship coaching or mentoring
- navigation of FDA approvals such as the Coronavirus Treatment Acceleration Program (CTAP), Ultra-Rapid Protocol Reviews (24-hour response), and Emergency Use Authorizations (EUAs)
- navigation of federal funding opportunities and proposal development
Important Application & Program Notes:
- Eligibility is open to technology projects based in Illinois. Out-of-state requests are not eligible.
- Applicants will be asked to provide a summary of how the proposed technology addresses challenges related to the coronavirus pandemic.
- The application review process may involve a virtual meeting between you and our program staff. If that is the case, we will contact you by email or phone to schedule this meeting.
- If approved for program assistance, we will refer you to the appropriate contracted providers. Please do not contact them directly for program services.
Consultants, Labs, and Resources
We’re currently working on our portfolio of contracted consultants, labs, and resources and hope to have this information posted online soon. Please also refer to our Request for Proposals for Technology Consultants and for Prototyping, Fabrication, or Makerspace Labs.
EDA CARES Act Funding
The COVID-19 Technology Acceleration program is funded by an EDA CARES Act Recovery Assistance Award which is administered by the University of Illinois EDA University Center. This funding award ends June 30, 2022. The EDA University Center is led by EnterpriseWorks at the University of Illinois Research Park. Funding support for the Center is provided by the U.S. Economic Development Administration.
For more information regarding EDA CARES funding, contact Rebecca Motley, Program Coordinator/EDA CARES Grant at firstname.lastname@example.org.