Starfire Industries Internship/Co-Op – Plasma Processing-Summer 2021
Starfire Industries, LLC is located proximal to the University of Illinois and we offer a hybrid internship/co-op opportunity where students work full-time summer and part-time in fall/spring semesters over a 1+ year extended period. This allows interns to embed with our R&D and production teams to gain real hands-on experience, work directly with Ph.D. scientists and engineers, and contribute in multiple areas.
This hybrid internship/co-op program is a successful pipeline for full-time employment (with us or others), publications and graduate school opportunities. Successful candidates are comfortable working with their hands, can read electrical schematics/mechanical drawings and are comfortable being part of a scientific team. We will provide job-specific training unique to our products and technologies.
Embed with a member of the IMPULSE® and RADION™ material surface modification team to assist with vacuum or atmospheric hardware setup, constructing test fixtures, performing etching and depositions, logging process data, analyzing material coupon properties, presenting data, and learning how thin-film deposition is used in industry. Full-time (hourly) employment during Summer and an expected 10-15 hours per week during Fall and Spring semesters with responsibly flexible hours to accommodate class schedules.
- Assist R&D/system engineers on IMPULSE® and RADION™ plasma component fabrication, assembly, system integration, hardware testing, controls, and debugging.
- Run experiment campaigns, acquire data, post-process, and present findings.
- Communicate consistently and pursue effective collaboration with other team members.
- Relevant Baccalaureate degree in process (2nd or 3rd year equivalent):
- Strong desire to learn and appreciates hands-on work
- Capability to read electrical schematics and mechanical drawings
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
Internship hourly rate. Immediate start date.