Research Park Communications and Social Media Intern- Spring/Summer 2022
EnterpriseWorks & University of Illinois Research Park
Join our team for an opportunity to develop your creativity and writing skills, utilize social media, and work with diverse people in a fast-paced team-oriented environment! The Communications and Social Media intern will be part of the University of Illinois Research Park and EnterpriseWorks team to highlight the exciting things happening at the Park.
Who we are
Research Park is a technology hub for corporate operations focusing on innovative, cutting edge research and development. EnterpriseWorks is an award-winning incubator at the Research Park that focuses on science and research-based start-up companies commercializing technology from the University of Illinois. We have a multifaceted team of professionals and interns dedicated to helping our startups and corporations thrive in the Research Park. Our previous interns have gone on to work at companies including but not limited to: Google, Facebook, IBM, PepsiCo, Goldman Sachs, Denodo, All State, Yelp, Solstice, and Surface 51.
What You’ll Do
The Communications and Social Media Intern will demonstrate their excellent written and verbal communication skills by writing news stories that highlight exciting things happening at the Research Park, crafting tweets and other social media posts that are enticing, yet specific, and working with graphic designers to create materials to promote events. They will collaborate and coordinate with Research Park leadership and the EnterpriseWorks intern team to ensure timely marketing/branding and promotions of jobs, events, and news through appropriate platforms. An intern will be able to propose new and innovative ways to increase Research Park’s brand awareness in the community and campus as well as manage ongoing communications projects such as weekly announcements and monthly student newsletters. In addition, the intern will ensure that information on the Research Park website, calendars, and all social media platforms is up to date and correct. Along with internal projects, interns will be able to participate in client projects for Research Park startups including website development, social media strategy, pitch decks, and more.
This position will begin training at the beginning of Spring 2022 and will continue throughout the semester. Upon performance review the role can continue for multiple semesters.
You must meet these requirements to be eligible for this internship.
- Graduation date of May 2022 or later
- Must be a full-time enrolled student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign at the time of employment
- Must be available to work 10-20 hours/week during Spring 2022 and Summer 2022
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to tell a great story in multiple formats and lengths (e.g. photos, video clips, and words)
- Understanding of internet and social media marketing best practices
- Experience in multiple social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn
- Excellent proofreading and editing skills; strong attention to detail
- Good project management and time management skills/work within structure
- Ability to work in fast-paced environments and balance multiple projects
- Ensure all projects are delivered on-time and within scope
- Maintain clear communications with management on project status
Nice to have
- Experience with Webtools, Hootsuite
- Ability to edit web content through WordPress
- Practical writing experience outside of the classroom
- Seeking at least one candidate that is familiar with Agriculture to adequately communicate the advances in Agricultural Technology being produced by many of the companies at Research Park. If applicable, please provide the extent of knowledge you have in this field in either your resume or cover letter
For your application, please prepare:
- Cover letter explaining how your experience makes you a good fir for this position
- Writing sample or social media post sample
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, we are looking to fill this position as soon as possible
- Hourly wage will be $13.00 per hour based on experience and will be paid by the University of Illinois.
- Pending successful performance reviews, the internship can continue through multiple semesters and there is potential to be promoted into a leadership role.
- Application will close November 10, 2021
- Individuals selected will be contacted the week after.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org