Research Park Front End Developer (WordPress) Internship – Fall 2020/Spring 2021
University of Illinois Research Park and EnterpriseWorks Staff
Do you have a passion for creating websites? Do you get excited about entrepreneurship? Do you enjoy working with different types of people? Do you thrive in a fast paced, team-oriented atmosphere? The Web Development Intern will have the opportunity to work as part of an interdisciplinary team to create websites for a variety of clients. Throughout this internship you will gain practical experience in web development while working in fun and exciting environment.
The University of Illinois Research Park is a technology hub for corporate operations focusing on innovative, cutting edge research and development. EnterpriseWorks is an award-winning incubator at the Research Park that focuses on science and research-based start-up companies commercializing technology from the University of Illinois. We have a multifaceted team of professionals and interns dedicated to helping our startups and corporations thrive in the Research Park.
Previous University of Illinois Research Park interns have gone onto work at companies including but not limited to: Google, Facebook, IBM, Denodo, All State, Blue Bunny, Yelp, Solstice, Leo Burnett and Surface 51.
This position will be virtual and begin as soon as possible at a minimum of 10 hr/week for the Fall 2020 semester. Upon a successful performance review, this internship can continue through multiple semesters.
What You’ll Do
As a front end developer, you will be able to work on websites for a variety of startup tenants. Some of the websites will be for more agriculture based startups and some may be for more tech startups. The project manager intern will incorporate a web developer into a team of interns to meet and discuss content desired by a client. The graphic designers and communication interns will provide the web developer with the materials that are needed to be implemented into the website to then be deployed onto a live server. To wrap up the project, the intern will be tasked with providing the client with the tools to edit and take over their website in its entirety.
You MUST meet these requirements to be eligible for this internship.
- Graduation date of May 2021 or later
- Must be a full-time enrolled undergraduate student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign at the time of employment
- Must be available to work a minimum of 10 hours/week during Fall 2020. Upon a successful performance review, this position can continue through multiple semesters.
- Experience with WordPress or other similar CMS
- Ability to develop, implement and modify clients’ websites with WordPress platform then deploy those websites onto live servers
- Ability to work on tight deadlines and under pressure
- Ability to balance and prioritize multiple projects
- Must have strong customer service skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Must maintain clear communications with management on project status
Nice to have:
- Familiarity with WordPress
- Java experience
- Project management or consulting experience
- Website design experience
For your application, please prepare:
- Cover letter explaining how your experience makes you a good fit for this position
- URL to a website YOU created
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, we are looking to fill this position as soon as possible.
- Hourly wage will be $12.00 per hour based on experience and will be paid by the University of Illinois.
- Pending successful performance reviews, the internship can continue through multiple semesters and there is opportunity for promotion into a leadership role.