Social distancing did not prevent the Champaign-Urbana Data Science User Group (DSUG) from collaborating this month. The group, who typically meets at EnterpriseWorks on the first Friday of each month, met virtually Friday, April 3 to address COVID-19 challenges.
To start, speakers discussed the way information is reported in the media. Data Scientist Rajiv Shah discussed DataRobot‘s forecasting model. Charles Linville, President and Founder of Ploughman Analytics discussed data visualization using geographic information.
Joe Cheng from the University of Illinois presented on a multidisciplinary research collaboration between the Gies College of Business, the Department of Sociology and others. Cheng is seeking other data science expertise including domain knowledge in business economics law, political science and more.
- Introduction to COVID-19 + Data
- DataRobot forecasting model (Rajiv Shah, DataRobot)
- Geo visualizations (Charles Linville, Ploughman Analytics)
- Research collaboration opportunities (Joe Cheng, UIUC Research Professor of Innovation and International Business)
- Call for Proposals (Digital Transformation Institute)
The user group aims to build a community of interest around data science to foster learning, collaboration, and networking. The group consists of students and professionals in the hope to bridge the gap between the analytical sciences and the practical applications of industry. Learn more: DSUG Meetup Page